1. All Ship Masters, Owners & Ship Agents for foreign & local ships, Pilots and Port Management Companies/Operators, Marinas and Yacht Clubs are advised that the tropical cyclone season has commenced from 1st November 2022.
2. All are required to take precautionary measures to keep yourselves, your crews, passengers, cargoes, and the ships safe.
3. Any action taken must not pose undue risk to seafarers and their vessels within the sheltering area during this period.
4. The table below indicates wind strength and expected damages near tropical cyclone centre.
|TC Category||Average Wind (km/h)||Strongest Gusts (km/h)||Central Pressure (hpa)||Typical Effects|
|1||63-89||Below 125 (Gales)||Below 985||Negligible house damage; damage to some crops, trees and caravans; boats may drag moorings.|
|2||90-124||125-169 (Destructive winds)||985-971||Minor house damage; significant damage to signs, trees and caravans; heavy damage to some crops; risk of power failure; small craft may break moorings.|
|3||125-164||170-224 (Very destructive winds)||970-956||Some roof and structural damage; some caravans destroyed; power failure likely.|
|4||165-224||225-279 (Very destructive winds)||955-931||Significant roofing loss and structural damage. Many caravans destroyed and blown away. Dangerous airborne debris; widespread power failures.|
|5||Above 224||Above 280 (Very destructive winds)||Below 931||Extremely dangerous with widespread destruction.|
5. All Masters are advised to take early action and preventative measures based on good professional judgement combined with the observance of good seamanship practice to ensure that seafarers and the vessels under their command is kept safe.
6. Masters must listen to all marine weather bulletins and tropical cyclone updates issued from the Fiji Meteorological Office and transmitted through the Suva Coast Radio Station (3DP) and the local radio stations.
7. Ship safety is the Master’s responsibility therefore the Master must take all necessary action to keep their ship safe at all times.
8. Ship owners must provide all necessary support to Masters of their vessels to ensure that the ship is kept safe during the tropical cyclone season.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEBSITE [Bottom Home Page] on https://www.msaf.com.fj TO GET CONTACTLESS AUTOMATIC UPDATES INTO YOUR EMAIL
OFFICER IN CHARGE / MANAGER SHIP INSPECTION
Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji
18 November 2022