- All Ship Masters, Ship Owners & Ship Agents for foreign & local ships, Pilots, Port Management Companies/Operators, Marinas and Yacht Clubs are advised of the adverse weather warning in the Fiji Group.
- Marine Weather Bulletin Issued from the National Weather Forecasting Centre, Nadi at 11:00am on Wednesday the 18th of January 2023
A STRONG WIND WARNING IS NOW IN FORCE FOR YASAWA AND MAMANUCA WATERS,
SOUTHWEST VITI LEVU WATERS AND KADAVU PASSAGE.
A trough of low pressure with cloud and showers is expected to approach from the north. Another trough lies to the west of the group and is also expected to also approach the group. Associated cloud and showers is expected to affect the group from tomorrow till the next few days. Meanwhile, a southerly wind flow prevails over the country. Winds predominantly becoming northwesterly later today.
Forecast to midday tomorrow for Fiji waters:
For Yasawa and Mamanuca waters, Southwest Viti Levu waters and Kadavu passage: Southerly winds 10 to 15 knots. Winds turning northwesterly from later today.
Moderate seas. Winds expected to increase to 20 to 25 knots later tonight with rough seas. Poor visibility in areas of heavy showers.
Northwesterly winds 20 to 30 knots. Rough to very rough seas. Poor visibility in areas of heavy showers.
For the rest of Fiji Waters:
Southerly winds 10 to 15 knots. Winds turning northwesterly from later today.
Moderate seas. Winds expected to increase to 15 to 20 knots tomorrow with moderate to rough seas. Poor visibility in areas of heavy showers.
Northwesterly winds 15 to 20 knots. Moderate to rough seas. Poor visibility in areas of heavy showers
3. All stakeholders are required to take necessary precautionary measures to keep your ships/boats safe at all times.
4. All Masters are advised to take early action and preventative measures based on good professional decision combined with observance of good seamanship practice to ensure the ship under their command is made safe.
5. Masters must listen to all marine weather bulletins and updates issued from the Fiji Meteorological Office (www .met.gov.fj) and transmitted through Suva Coast Radio Station (3DP) and the local radio stations.
6. Ship Master and Owners shall take all necessary to keep their ship safe at all times.
7. Ship owners must provide all necessary support to masters of their ships to ensure the ship is kept safe.
OFFICER IN CHARGE / MANAGER SHI INSPECTION
Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji
18th January, 2023.